Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Chicksters Chapter Two

 Jess
Chapter Two




“I hate this shirt! Martha, do you know where my green top is?” Jess shouted and within minutes her stepmother was in her doorway with toddler Tommy. “What’s wrong with the blue one you have on?” Her stepmother asks breathlessly. Jess looked at her stepmother with an expression of shock and angry. “You know green makes my eyes pop! My real mom use to say so.” Uninvited tears formed and spilled over. The new season of tears started her stepmother. “Blue makes your emerald eyes pop much more. It looks great with your sleek black hair. And you are going to be late to school so you can’t change anyways. We’ll finish unpacking by tonight and you’ll have everything you need for tomorrow, honey.” “Don’t call me that! I hate when you call me that! You’re not my mom, Martha, so stop acting like it!” With that Jess stormed out of her room to her car and sped to school.


                                           ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
           


School went by normally till third period. Jess was walking in the hall trying to find her math class. SMACK! Jess went head first to the floor while some other girl fell of to the side. Jess lay there a moment letting the sting of her new bloodily nose take over. “Crud nuggets.” She says under her breathe. “I think you knocked someone over.” Some deep voice says. Jess peeled her face of the floor and blood starts to run down her face. “Oh man!” A girl cries and runs to Jess’s side and helped her up. With shaky legs her I-hate-my-new-stepmother mode kicked in. “What’s your problem?” Jess asks harshly. Jess leans down and picks up her books. “I’m so sorry! I didn’t mean to. I wasn’t paying any-” “I could tell.” Jess snaps. Chill, Jess. She seems sorry. But I might have a broken nose! Grr… “Hey, you need some help?” A tall, slender boy with wavy blond hair asks. By the look on the first girl, she likes him. “I got it.” Jess growls. “Let me help you to the nurse’s office.” He offers in a deep almost demanding tone. I said no! Jess’s head pounded and she did not want to deal with jerks who think they own the hall. “Let me help you.” The girl offers again. What part of no don’t y’all get?! “I can handle myself!” Jess barks. The girl and boy took a step back as if Jess really hit them. Jess stomps off to the office. “What a way to make her feel welcome, Annabelle!” A boy laughs.


                                           ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“It’s broken.” The nurse tells Jess. “Great.” She mutters. “No worries. I’ll have you fixed up in no time!” The nurse promises. With a dorky bandage on her nose she was on her way to lunch. She did well blocking out the mean comments it was the “Oh that looks like it hurts” “Are you okay?” “What happened?” “Did someone beat you up?” The somewhat nice things people said she had trouble brushing off. At lunch she pulled out a PB&J sandwich her father made. I wish you were at home more, dad. I miss you. “I’m really sorry about your nose. I didn’t mean to run into you. Is it hurting?” The girl from the hall asks. Every bone in Jess’s body said Lie; lie to the girl who hurt you like you do to Martha. But she ignores them. She needs a friend now. “Kind of, not really, it’s just broken.” Well that sounded lame! What else are you going to say, Jess? Wow it sure is hot here? Don’t open up your mouth again, Jessica! “Oh I’m sorry!” She says sitting across Jess. “I’m Annabelle by the way.” She says holding out her hand. “I’m Jessica, call me Jess.” Annabelle smiles and pulls out a pad and pen. “Okay, I’m on the newspaper staff and we want to do an assignment on you, what do you think?” I think that’s the only reason you are being nice to me. “Okay.” Jess says slowly. “Okay! So, last first name, middle and last name?” “Jessica Mackenzie.” Jess says then takes a big bite of her lunch. “Okay. Middle name?” Annabelle asks again. “Don’t have one.” Jess answers with her mouth full. “Really?” Jess nods. “Where did you go to school before Chickster High?” “Texas.” Jess answers slowly. “Hey, you’re the girl that got knocked over right?” A deep voice behind Jess asks. Why does that voice sound so familiar? Jess turns around. “Who wants to know?” She quips. Her eyes fell upon a familiar face. “Rick!” She jumped out of her chair and fell into his embraced. “I’ve missed you so much, Rick.” She whispers. “I’ve missed you too. I didn’t know you were the new girl. When did you move?” Jess looks up into his deep blue eyes. “We got here Saturday. We are still unpacking at home.” “How’s your mom?” He asks sitting next to her. He doesn’t know. “Yes, that was my next question. What are your parents like?” Rick turned to Annabelle seeming to notice her for the first time. Jess explains what Annabelle was doing here then slowly answered his question. “Mom died of cancer four years ago.” Rick pulled her back into a hug. “I know how close you were to your mom. This must be hard on you.” A single tear ran down Jess’s cheek. It was true, she missed her mom. “Did your dad ever remarry?” Annabelle asks breaking into their moment. “I think that’s enough questions today. You can leave now, Annie.” Rick didn’t take his eyes off of Jess. “It’s Annabelle. When did you to meet?” “Our mothers were close and are fathers did some farm work together. We’ve been friends since she saved me from those bullies in kindergarten.” A smile tug at the end of Ricks lips. “I think we saved each other, Rick. They stole his lunch, wouldn’t give it back. I jumped on the bigger one’s back and you sucker punched the short one in kisser when they were distracted!” Jess laughed then Rick joined in. “Sounds great. I’ll meet you at your house at 5 so we can finish. Bye Jessica!” Annabelle ran to some cheerleaders at another table. “She has your address?” Rick asks slowly. “I don’t know.” Jess says slowly. “So how have you been doing?” Rick asks suddenly. “I’ve been a brat to Martha, Rick. I really have.”