Monday, April 2, 2012

Overcoming Chapter Three

Chapter Three:
                                     I meant every word



Jett heard the knob turn and forced his heavy eyelids open only a little. These painkillers are kicking my tail. Jett thought trying to see through his blurry vision.   “Jett?” A female voice whispered. Hope stirred up inside him as the voice came closer. “Nina?” Jett feebly whispered. He could hardly make out her smile but with that smile came tears. “Hey, Why are... You crying?” Jett pushed his eyelids open further to see her eyes were puffy and bloodshot, she had been crying a lot. “I've been worried about you.” Nina sat in the chair right next to his hospital bed. “No need. I'm fine. We could go bowling right now that's how fine I am.” Jett smiled when Nina's soft quite laugh rolled out. Her laugh is like music. Jett thought. “So how are you really doing?” Nina put her hand next to his and he grasped it slowly. “Painkillers took away most of my feeling... That's why I says I feel... Fine.” Jett confessed. His eyes started to close but he pushed them right back open. “You don't have to stay awake, Jett. You can go to sleep. I'll be here when you wake up so there's no need to worry.” Jett smiled. He rubbed his thumb slowly against the bracelet on Nina's wrist. “Nina, how are you doing?” His voice was a hoarse whisper and his eyelids were getting heavier. “Just worry about getting better. That's all you have to worry about.” Nina gave his hand a gently squeeze. “I worry about you. More than you know.” Jett closes his eyes and takes a deep breath in through the nose. She smells like strawberries. Jett thought smiling. “Don't worry. Just rest.” Nina tired to let go of his hand but he held on. “Please, don't leave yet.” Jett pleaded. If she stays I know I'll be okay. She stayed with me when I was in the jungle. I know she'll stay now. “Okay. I'll stay till you fall asleep. Then I'll make some phone calls then come back.” He could tell by her voice she was close to crying again. He forced his eyes open one more time and took in Nina's full image. Nina's faint smile hit him like a punch in the gut. She's so wonderful, thank you Lord for Nina. I'm so blessed to have her and love her. Jett froze. 'And love her' where did that come from? Where ever it did Jett knew it was true. I love Nina Mackenzie. Jett's thought brought a smile to his face.  ”Nina, I care so much about you.” Jett breathed then fell into sleep before hearing her reply. Jett's dreams kept him tossing and turning half the night. He relived the entire day over in his nightmares. “Nina?” Jett woke with a start. He glanced over the hospital room and saw Nina by his bed her head on her arms fast asleep. “Nina... you awake?” Jett yawned then smiled. She's so beautiful. Jett thought slowly holding her hand again. “I love you, Nina. You might... not here me... But I love you.” He whispered gave her hand a squeeze then fell back into the dream world of painkillers. He woke again when he no long felt Nina's hand in his. His hand searched for hers before his eyes opened to see she was talking to someone behind her.  ”Hey sleepyhead,” Nina teased with a smile. “There's someone here for you.” Jett looked behind Nina and saw the frame of his short mother. “Mom.” He whispered. He couldn't even force a smile he was hurting so bad.  ”Hey, sweetie, how are you feeling?” Her soft voice was hard to hear over the pounding in his ears and head. “I'm hurting.” He whispered with a little wince from his leg. “I'll get the doctor.” His mom walked out with tears in her eyes and her medium brown hair swishing behind her. Nina held his hand. “You were sleeping so well. I thought you might be a little better but...” Nina whispered.  He didn't respond just looked at her taking her all in. “I don't remember holding your hand when I fell asleep.” Nina ventured. “I woke up. You were asleep... I told you something and held your hand... Then I fell asleep.” He chose his words carefully and slowly he didn't want to say the three little words before he knew if he would live or not. “Jett,” Nina leaned closer to his ear and spoke low enough that only he would hear, not that anyone else was in the room. “Did you hear me say anything when we were in the jungle?” Jett did remember. She told him she cared for him and liked him as in more than a friend. “Yes.” He breathed. He closed his eyes and let her voice wash over him. “I meant every word. And I know you did too.” Jett fell asleep against his will. He wanted to talk with Nina more. What did she mean 'I know you did too'? Had she heard him tell her the three little life changing words? For the rest of the day he was in and out of sleep. When he did wake Nina wasn't there till he started to fall back asleep. Once when he woke up Danny was just leaving and he couldn't find his voice to call him back. “So, how is he?” Jett heard Nina but didn't open his eyes. Someone else was in the room with her. “We don't think we have to remove his leg. It looks like the mass will grow back the way it should. The poison left in his body is little and should no longer be there by tomorrow. That is what is keeping him from staying awake for any longer than a few minutes. He will have to stay a while longer. They way he recovers will determine how long he will stay. Then he will have to come back often for Physical Therapy till the mass is all back in its right place.” A rough voice answered. “Okay. Thank you Dr. Rick.” Well now I know who was here. Jett thought slowly. He heard shuffling of feet then Nina's voice saying, “Okay, you can stop pretending now.” She didn't sound mad more amused if anything. “How did you know?” He slowly opened his eyes and saw he was holding her hand. “I reached for your hand didn't I?” Nina smiled. “You seem to be doing it every time you wake up.” Jett smiled feebly back. “What did you mean by 'I know you did too'?” “I don't what you’re talking about.” Jett gave her hand a squeeze and a look that says 'Your turn to stop pretending'. They didn't speak for what seemed like a long time. They just gazed into each others eyes. “I heard you say it.” She confesses finally. Jett smiles softly. “I did mean every word.” The cats out of the bag now. He thought quietly. “I can't say I feel that strongly yet but-” “and you don't have to.” Jett interrupts. “But I do feel something, Jett. I just don't know if it's love.” “It doesn't have to be.” Nina gives him a strange look. “You don't care?” “Of course I care. I told you I did. I'll just wait for you, Nina.” She looked like crying again. “I'll wait.” He repeated. “How did you know? Love I mean? How did you know you loved me?” Jett smile grew wide and his eyes grew tired. He might be getting better but he was still under a lot of medication which made his eyelids heavy. “Your smile hit me like a punch in the gut and made me think 'I'm so blessed to have her and to love her.'“ Nina started to cry. “I love you, Nina Mackenzie.” Jett says rubbing his thumb on Nina's bracelet. During the quiet that past Jett fell asleep and Nina went home for a well needed nap. When he opened his eyes again Danny was in the chair instead of Nina. Jett smiled slightly. “Hey, buddy. What are you doing here?” Danny didn't seem to get his joke. “I'm here to see you.” Danny says slowly. “So how's mom been?” Jett ventured. “Fine.” Danny tried hard not to let a huge grin come on his face. Jett motioned for Danny to come closer. He did. “Has mom been drinking since I got here?” Danny's grin came on ad got larger by the second. “No. Last night we came to visit you and Nina was here. Mom broke into tears because we stayed half the night and you didn't wake up. Nina calmed her down then right then and there mom turned her life over to The Lord! Then, this morning I, Nina and my new friend Brad had a big talk about God and I turned my life over to him! Nina's been helping us through this big change and we've never been more of a family before.” Danny exclaimed. Jett smiled a little bigger. “That’s amazing Danny.” Jett's voice held so little emotion that he felt. “You don't sound too happy.” Danny notice. “I am. Trust me, I am. The painkillers are just taking their toll on me. I'm going to be just fine.” His voice cracked. “Hey, Danny is Jett awake yet?” Nina and Jett's mom walked into the small room. “Hey, Mom.” Jett says quietly. “Hey, baby,” His mom whispered grabbing his hand. “The doctor says you can come home maybe in a few days. Maybe next week or so. Isn't that great?” Jett nodded. “You want me to give you guys a minute?” Jett watched Nina standing in the corner looking uncomfortable. “Its okay, Nina. You’re like family. You can stay.” Jett stammered. Why am I stammering? I've never been like this before. Not around Nina anyways. Is because I'm in love? Or is it because of the medication I'm on? “Alright then.” Nina smiled sheepishly. “So, how long was I asleep this time?” Jett gave his mother's hand a gently squeeze. “Well, remember us talking last? Well that was last night and now it's
5pm.” Nina says looking at her watch. “Mom, I told Jett about us going to Christ. He's really happy for us!” His mom gave a forced laugh, “I'm sure he is.” Nina took the slight hint that Jett's mom wanted to talk to Jett alone and says. “How about Danny and I go get something to drink for everybody?” Danny wined but went with Nina. “I saw you stammering. Is there a reason for that?” A slyly grin crept up on his mom's face. “I love her,” Jett whispered. “I thought she was sleeping when I told her but she wasn't. She knows so now it's a little awkward for us.” His mom sighed happily. “I'm guessing she doesn't feel the same way.” “She doesn't know yet.” Jett told his mom about him and Nina in the forest. That took the all the time Nina and Danny were gone and wore him out. “I don't know how much longer I can keep my eyes open.” Jett says once his mom and Danny left. His mom had work in the morning and his brother had school. Nina was home-schooled so she could do her work anywhere so she stays most of the time. “You did so well today. I'm so glad you seem to be getting better!” Nina beamed. Her smile seemed to light up the room. “Nina,” Jett reached for her hand and she gave it to him in a heartbeat.  ”I'm sorry. I really did think you were asleep.” Jett smiled at Nina. “I know. I woke up the second time you asked if I was awake. Then you started talking before I could answer.” Nina looked at her bracelet. “I'm surprised you still have that old thing.” Jett says with edge to his tone. “It reminds me of you. I'll always keep it. It reminds me of things we went through. Like when your dad died. The forest. When your mom beat you...” Nina trailed off leaving sleepy Jett to fill in the blank. Of course he knew the blank already. “To me that thing only holds bad memories. But if you like it you can keep it.” Jett held Nina's hand a little tighter. “You know, you can go home when you want and I'll be okay, don't you?” Nina nodded. “I'm just afraid that if I leave you'll...” Nina left the blank open for Jett again. This time he didn't have the answer up his sleeve. He was to tire to figure anything out at the moment. “I won't leave or die or anything. Just take care of my family and you and I'll be fine.” Jett whispered then nodded off.

 The next day nothing happened to make Jett interested. Nina wasn't there when he woke up. Danny didn't visit neither did his mom. Today he was more alert and wake than he had been before. He was just bored out of his mind most of the day. By
4 o'clock he was zoning out the window. “Knock! Knock!” A cherry voice came through the door. “Come in?” Jett answered cautiously. “Guess who got homework done earlier enough to come visit her best friend!” Liz beamed. “Nice too see you too, Liz, He put his best smile on for his over hyper friend.”So, why haven't you visited till now?” Jett questioned. “Did you not hear my intro?” Liz went on before he could answer. “'Guess who got homework done earlier enough to come visit her best friend'. This week the teachers have swamped us with homework! I think your encounter with the snake really freaked them out and they want to keep us in the house as long as they can. The parents have been freaked out to and a lot have been offering things to me and Tommy and Nina and your family. Like rides home for Danny. People have been cooking things and giving them to your mom. A bunch of kids at school are starting a fund raiser and there going to give the money to your mom so she can pay the doctor bill! And I brought you your homework so you won't get far behind. I when Tommy gets done with his homework Dad is going to drop him off here and I'll go home. You might even get to meet my dad!” Liz says in one breath. “Don't forget to breathe, Lizzy-Bear.” He teased. Her eyes grew wide. “You remember that?” She looked pale. “Calm down, Liz. And yes I do remember that. But I won't call you that if someone else is in the room.” Jett looked his friend over as she sat in the chair next to his bed. She was cute. She had short cropped black hair that she going to grow out. She had pretty deep green eyes, and when she looked at you it felt as if she was gazing deep within your soul. She had a slim figure. All the guys thought she was cuter than Nina. So why did Jett not think she was? Why did he love Nina? What got him hooked on her and not Lizzy-bear? Lizzy-bear was what Liz's Mom called her. At her Sixth birthday party her Mom says loudly “Time to blow out the candles Lizzy-Bear!” everyone but Jett and Nina laughed. Liz melted in embarrassment and ran into her teddy bear themed bedroom crying. “How come my momma has to embarrass me like that? My family must hate me! “Jett thought she had it good. Yes, her parents weren't together but she still had her dad. Two years had passed since he was beaten by his mom and his dad passed away. “At least you still have a family.” Nina had muttered. “My parents died remember! They died in a car crash. I don't have a family and you do.” Liz was stunned and Nina went on before Jett could calm her. “And you’re complaining? You don't see me and Jett complaining, Do you? He's dad died and his mom-” “And my mom didn't handle it well. Remember? She took off for a while and left me and Danny-boy to fend for ourselves?” Liz had nodded at his lie and apologizes for being upset and went back to her party with all smiles. Ever since then Jett teased her about being Lizzy-Bear.  ”So did your parents have a nickname for you, Jett?” Liz asked bringing him back to the present. “I'm not sure if my dad called me anything but my mom...” He trailed off. He never told anyone about his mo being a drunk at one point or how she beat him. Liz was his friend. He could trust her, couldn't he? Jett sighed then told Liz things he told Nina when she asked years ago. He told her about his mom being drunk and beating him. Them staying at Nina's grandpa's place. “I hope you don't mind. But Nina told me the night you got here.” Jett didn't mind as much as thought he would. “That's fine.” “So, what did your mom call you?” She asked quietly. “A piece of trash. A pain in her side. A problem child. The reason we were in such a bad place. She cussed at me quite a bit; she normally called me one of those. If she was really mad and drunk she would lock me out of our small house tie me to the tree like a dog and yell I was worthless mutt that she could get rid of at anytime and I should be thankful for the wonderful way we lived and that I even got a speck of food. She would then leave me out all night and get me in the morning when she sobered up so I could go to school after I got around.” He was looking out the widow the entire time he spoke when he finished he looked at Liz and could see tears form in her eyes. “Hey, Lizzy-Bear don't cry its okay. Once Nina's grandpa helped her things got a whole lot better. I wasn't any of those things she called me anymore. I was just Jett. No do you get why I told you all those years ago that you had it good?” She nodded and the tears fell. “Please don't cry, Liz.” Jett says softly. “I need to tell you something I only told two other people. But you can't tell anyone.” Liz quickly dried her tears and listened carefully as Jett told her that he loved Nina and everything that happen when he told her. “Oh, Jett. I knew some day you guys would get together!” Liz was back to her beaming mood she first entered with. “Well, we aren't together.” Jett says getting a hard hug from her. “Yet!” Liz says in a singsong voice. “Yet.” Jett echoed.
                                        

No comments: